0

Exhaustion . . . again!

The last couple of days have been crazy busy. My Mom was running for judicial office in my hometown, so I went up on Tuesday to help with the last days of the campaign and election day. I never realized local politics was so crazy!

Tuesday was "National Night Out" which is put on by police departments for kids all over the country. We set up and handed out free water to everyone. The heat was miserable. They did have a bunch of games and inflatable slides and obstacle courses set up. My foster sister was there with her 2 daughters. I ended up taking them to all the games and we had so much fun. They're really a hoot! Wednesday was a visit to my dentist, who I love. Isn't that strange to hear? Then my Mom and I went around making sure all the voting precincts had tents, coolers, and signs.

Yesterday was election day. I was at the polling place from 9:00 a.m. (when the polls opened) until 8:00 p.m. (when the polls closed). It was over 100 degrees! Thankfully, we had stocked up on water and Gatorade. I was amazed at how some workers were so rude to other camps. I expected the Democrat and Republican camps to be separated, but there were threats, bullying and dirtiness all over! One person was caught bringing in people to vote, which isn't a big deal because people always bring others. However, this guy was seen by an election official giving money to several voters after they left the polling place. He was arrested. At another precinct, one pollworker was standing at the entrance, which isn't allowed -- you have to be 150 feet away. She put up a fight when officials asked her to back up and was arrested. Thankfully, both of those people were not for any of our party's candidates. The Sheriff's race was really contested and most of the arguments were between those workers. Our candidate won, ousting a 12 year incumbent. Unfortunately, my mom lost by less than 300 votes. It was very frustrating because we all worked very hard.

I drove back to Atlanta this afternoon after spending the morning with my Mom and Step-Dad picking up signs from all over the county. Evidently, the poles that are used for the larger signs are a hot commodity with the farmers in the area and they're fairly expensive. We wanted to get them up so the November candidates can use them for their signs.

Tomorrow I'm off to Amelia Island, Florida, with my Dad and others. It's about a 7 hour drive and my sister-in-law's going to ride with me once they get to Atlanta. We'll have fun! I look forward to sitting in my beach chair and reading a book. My nephew is threatening to bury me in the sand. I'm afraid that I'm going to get suckered into that.

I should be able to update some while I'm gone. Our condo has wireless!

0 comments: