1

Home at last . . .

I'm home! I'm exhausted and have spent the day catching up on email. Who knew a person could receive so many emails in one week? It's crazy! I'll be posting about the trip soon. I've got close to 200 pictures, not that I'll make any of you suffer through that many. I'll get a post together in the next day or so, with pictures if I can get it to work. I'll also probably post a link to all my pictures in case anyone is interested in sifting through all of them. We did get some beautiful shots.

Among the news that happened while I was away was this: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060818/NEWS03/608180439/1017
Perry March was found guilty in the murder of his wife Janet March. I moved to Nashville the year she went missing, 10 years ago. They have never found her body. It was all over the news the entire 6 years I was living there. Dateline did a couple of reports on it and CourtTV covered the trial. Their two children have been through so much over the years, including a vicious custody battle between the Levines (Janet's parents) and Perry March. His father helped him dispose of the body and in hiring a hitman to have the Levines killed. It's very sad. I'm relieved the Levines have found some measure of justice for their daughter.

On another note, what is happening in the world of baseball? I leave for a week and my Red Sox get swept by the Yankees AT FENWAY! We're now 6.5 games back in the AL East and 4.5 games back in the AL Wild Card. This does not look good!

I read one of the best books ever while in Barbados, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was wonderful. I honestly don't know how long it's been since I've cried reading a book, and I cried more than once reading this one. The characters in the book are wonderful and the issues brought up are emotional and timely. It's an amazing book. To me, it seems like one that you could read over and over and discover a little something different from it each time. If you haven't read it, do so. I put off reading it for a long time, but I'm glad I finally sat down with it.

I've started Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, but I can't seem to get into it. I'm only a few chapters in though. I've heard good things about it so hopefully I'll get into it soon. Any other book recommendations? I'm all ears!

Until I get the post regarding my trip set up, how about one beautiful picture. It might be my favorite of all the ones I took.

1 comments:

Dogeared said...

I read The Kite Runner - the "scene" (you know the one) was pretty hard to read, and I still don't know how I feel about the main character, even though I read the book 2 years ago! Oddly though, you're the second person I know who's reading it now (well you've finished).

I'd recommend "The Bookseller of Kabul" by Asne Seierstad (I think that's how you spell her name). She's a Norwegian journalist who spent a year living with a family of booksellers in Kabul. Pretty interesting.

And I love that photo! Beautiful!