1

Run, Baby Run . . . (aka Bootcamp: Day 4, Round 2)

Today was a long run day. After warming up, we did two 1-minute rounds of curb toe-touches, then 40 tricep dips, and 30 lunges on each leg. After this, we took off on our run. All in all, we ran for 25 minutes. I estimate that I ran 2 miles. I was going fine until we got to this huge, huge, huge hill. About halfway up, I got nauseous and was really worried I was going to throw up. That meant I had to walk it off for a little bit, otherwise, I probably would've been closer to 2.5 miles.

Yesterday I was skimming my October issue of SHAPE magazine and found a small blurb I found interesting. A University of Virginia study lead by Dennis Proffit found that hills appear steeper after an intense workout. Evidently, this is your brain's way to get your body to conserve energy. This totally makes sense to me. It really made sense when I looked up at that massive hill this morning. The article was published in Perception & Psychophysics, in August 2005. However, you can read the abstract and purchase the article at IngentaConnect. I haven't been able to find the entire article online without being required to purchase it.

In other news, I had a job interview yesterday afternoon which resulted in being conditionally hired as an associate with a firm expanding in Atlanta. I'm pleased and very excited. Next week, I'll be at the firm's main office meeting the attorneys and paralegals and receiving some training. Hopefully, everything works out. I do hate that I'm having to miss several days of bootcamp, but I am packing my running shoes and workout clothes so that I can still workout.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Said it once but it bears repeating - well done on the job! :clapping:

And the hills I meet part way through some run routes seem worse than the hill at the start of another route. Yet the starting hill and one of the others are about the same size. In fact the starting hill might be the longest of the lot! Yet I do it fine. It is on my Ol' Faithful route though (mental thing, I always do fairly well on that run).

Helen