0

Genius Plan , Inferior Execution . . .

In case you haven't heard, one creative Red Sox fan decided to bury a Red Sox jersey underneath the new Yankee Stadium. There are a ton of news stories about it. When I first heard about it (thank you, Drew!) I suspected it was a planted story to rile up Yankee fans for the Boston series. Evidently not. My absolute favorite story is this satirical one from Serious Sports News.

What I don't understand is why the Red Sox fan spoke up? I mean, couldn't he wait a few more months? The better plan would've been to bury the jersey, document it with photographs showing landmarks of the stadium and then keep your mouth shut. Then, once the stadium was complete and there was very little chance of them digging up the jersey, the photos are mailed anonymously to a newspaper. I mean, sure, he wouldn't have his name out there, but he also wouldn't be facing a lawsuit and criminal charges. I mean, he obviously waited a few months to speak up, what's a few more? I'm sure it was killing him to keep quiet!

Come to think of it, I would guess that if this story came out after the new Yankee Stadium was completed the Yankee organization would have still tried to dig it up. From the sounds of it, they immediately went into "red alert" trying to find the burial location. And really, all the curse nonsense is getting pretty ridiculous. Yes, Boston fans have long lamented the "Curse of the Babe." I don't believe in that curse anymore than I believe in the "Curse of the Goat." Nope, not at all. Although, now that I think about it . . . maybe the burial cursed Ortiz! I mean, he was batting .077 after Friday's game and now it's dropped to .70. Hideous. Hideous. Hideous. Big Papi needs to step up.

I think the Yankee fans should be much more concerned that Joe Girardi thought it was a good idea to pitch to Manny Ramirez with runners on, 2 outs, and first base open. No. No. No. You do not pitch to Manny with first base open like that, at least not if you want to end an inning. Hopefully, Girardi makes the same sort of decisions later in the week when we visit NYC.

Finally, if you are a Boston fan and have never visited Surviving Grady get yourself over there right now. If you visit, under no circumstances are you to leave without reading the "Cashman-Headwarmer Dialogues." They are hysterical! You can find the most recent one here. And, just because I like you and because they are so freakin' awesome, episodes one through five are here: One, Two, Three, Four, & Five! You gotta love Red and Denton. Now, go forth and read the hilarity!

0 comments: