1

Venting Frustration . . .

I have debated for several days on whether I even want to blog about this. I probably shouldn't as there's a good chance it could get back to the persons involved, but I find it very hard to stop ruminating and I need to vent.

I understand that politics is a touchy subject for many people. For me, in general, it takes a lot to upset me and get me riled up. This did. Within the last few days, I was told by someone the reason they were planning to vote for the McCain/Palin ticket was because they were racist. They just put that right out there. They don't want a black man telling them what to do.

I literally thought I was going to have to pick my jaw up off the floor.

As I've thought about this for the past few days, I've gone through a range of emotions. At first I was really pissed off, then annoyed, and through some others I've come to the point where I'm just saddened. It's incredibly scary to me that in 2008 there are still so many people who see a person simply based on their race. Their minds are completely closed -- practically sealed.

I have absolutely no problem with the candidates people choose to vote for. We have a right to choose which candidates best match our morals and beliefs. However, when those choices are based on something as arbitrary as race, or gender, even age, it bothers me. I wouldn't rule out McCain based on his age. I didn't rule out Palin based on her gender. I haven't ruled out Obama because he is black.

I chose my candidate based on what he stands for, how his views compare with my views.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way for us to not see a political candidate at all prior to election day? It used to be that way for many people. All you had to rely on were the candidates words, their speeches. How great would it be if they were chosen solely based on their stance on the issues we face and on the strength of their character instead of their race, or even their party?

(On a side note, it would also be nice if people would think for themselves instead of immediately believing what they see and hear. Take time to research your candidates, especially the local ones!)

1 comments:

MevetS said...

Wow and I agree sad.

You comment about not seeing candidates brought two stories to mind.

Richard Nixon debated JFK. Those who heard it on the radio thought Nixon clearly won. Those who saw on TV had Kennedy winning.

FDR was a cripple. But there was no TV and most people never saw him. Photos did not show his wheelchair and most showed him sitting.

We (Americans, humans) are slowly learning to ignore appearances, but is an arduous process. But progress is occurring. When I was born black people were not seen on TV. And my parent's generation didn't have a problem with that. Today, most of us are surprised and saddened when we learn that there are people who still feel that way.

Change is frustrating slow.