0

Jon Jon . . .

If you practice an art, be proud of it and make it proud of you. It may break your heart, but it will fill your heart before it breaks it; it will make you a person in your own right.
Maxwell Anderson

A little over a year ago my youngest cousin, Jon, decided to record an album. He'd taught himself to play several instruments, and after going through one hell of a ordeal after high school graduation became quite the songwriter. His album was finally released earlier this month and it's great. I was able to get my copy from him over the Christmas holidays and it seriously has only left my CD player twice. Once to listen to a little bit of DMB's Piedmont Park show and the other when it was brought from the car to the house. Seriously.

Last night, I uploaded the CD to my iPod so that I'll be able to listen to it when I'm in NYC this weekend. As it was uploading I was thinking how cool it was that he's accomplished something so heartfelt and wonderful. How many people would stop work and record an album simply to record it, to just get the songs out so they're out there?!

Jon's one of the sweetest and funniest guys in the world and he's also very creative. I was so surprised and excited last Christmas when we sat at his Mac and listened to some of his songs. I had no clue he was writing, let along that he was that good! He has quirky songs, a few mellow ones, and then serious songs on the album. There's a good mix and his style is somewhere between bluegrass and folk. There's lots of lovely acoustics going on. But all of it suits his personality. Anybody who knows Jon can hear him in his songs.

I'm so proud of him and I can't wait to hear what he comes up with next. If any of you are into bluegrass or folk music, or if you like to support independent music . . . check out Jon Jackson and his CD "Green Apples." I promise you won't be sorry. You can purchase it here: Green Apples at CD Baby. I've also put his MySpace page in my links section. He always has a few of his songs linked up there so wander over and check him out.

*floats off singing*

0 comments: