4

Not Cool Atlanta Braves, Not Cool At All . . .

Many of you know that my favorite baseball team is the Boston Red Sox. This has been the case since I was a little girl. Living in a city with a National League team might explain the reason I adore interleague play. It brings the Red Sox to me, at least most of the time.

The Sox are coming to Atlanta for a three game series in June, immediately after a three game homestand against the Skankees (allow me to decipher, Skankees=Yankees). However, the Braves, along with Ticketmaster are making it difficult for fans to get tickets . . . unless said fans choose to purchase a minimum 9-game ticket package. Sure, you can do a 6-pack of games, but this only gives you tickets to one game in each of the series. So, the Braves are not allowing their fans to simply purchase tickets to the individual three game series (this goes for the Skankees, too, btw).

What are they doing? They're allowing fans to register for the chance to purchase individual game tickets for the two interleague series.

Hello? Atlanta Braves? This is Turner Field. While the Ted is a fun place to see a baseball game, it is not Fenway Park where chance to purchase Monster Seats are auctioned off because of high demand. I get that! The Monster seats are awesome!

Why would I want to register for the chance to purchase tickets, so that you can call me and mail me all sorts of promotional material to try and persuade me to buy game packages? I get that you want to make a profit. I do. I also get that these two series are high demand tickets. However, Boston has come to Atlanta for interleague play each year since it began, except for last season. Boston tickets aren't that in demand. And while I loathe the Skankees, this is the first time they've ever come to Atlanta for a series. What if both teams are sucking it up in June? Think these tickets will still be high demand? (I certainly don't want to jinx my Sox, but this is an entirely plausible scenario for the Skankees.)

Yes, they are high demand tickets, but is limiting them to package purchases the best way to go? I anticipate when I arrive at the box office before the start of the first Red Sox series game I will be left to choose from only the crappy seats for all three games. All they're really doing is forcing the brokers to buy game packages so they're able to turn around and sell the individual series tickets. Trust me, tickets for both series are already way over-priced around the internet.

Can you tell I'm not pleased?

4 comments:

TedR said...

This seems to be happening in other cities too. The Seattle Mariners were one of the last teams to put their single game tickets on sale. I have a hunch it had to do with the signing of Griffey, they wanted him to sign, add the hype and then sell out a bunch of games by releasing late.

Angers me too!

Anonymous said...

Ah, it's hard to have sympathy for anyone that's so against my beloved Yankees. But then again, in NY they are selling PSL's - personal seat licenses, which, for ridiculous amounts of money allow you the right to pay more for the seat tickets. Needless to say, we have no plans to even try to go to any of the games.

Anonymous said...

I actually just bought tickets to the June 26th game but I did so through StubHub where season ticket holders (and other people who've managed to buy tickets) can resell them for a nice markup of course.

Louise said...

All the latest about Braves at:
http://www.bravesworld.com