2

366 Pictures: #55 Rubbish

For those of you who were with me in NYC you may remember one particular installation at the Brooklyn Museum that fascinated me. Hew Locke's El Dorado (pictures are on the third row) is a mixed media portrait of Queen Elizabeth, however, it's made out of all sorts of crazy, lowbrow items. It's incredibly intricate and was probably my favorite piece of art at the museum.

So, imagine my giddiness when I saw this . . .

Photobucket

Okay, okay, it isn't the actual installation, it's a framed poster, but it's still incredibly neat. This is Vik Muniz's Kyber Pass, Self-Portrait as an Oriental, After Rembrandt (Pictures of Junk). All of the items were gathered from the streets and dumps in Rio de Janiero and assembled in an airplane hanger! Once the giant sculpture was all put together, Muniz took a picture of it from a crane.

How cool is that!? I've included a couple of the close-up pictures I took. They give you an idea of the sorts of things that make up the portrait. I thought it was a pretty creative twist on rubbish.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Date Taken: May 10, 2008.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Wow! That's an awesome piece.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite at the High!