2

Childhood Fears . . .

When I was a little girl there were probably many, many things I was afraid of. The old house I grew up in made the most awful creaking noises. My Mom said it was the house settling. I was positive it was ghosts. Another fear? Running out of gas. I have always, always feared running out of gas in random places. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm afraid of running out of gas period! I still have that fear! This is why Murphy is rarely, if ever, below 1/4 tank of gas.

The fear I remember most (besides the general ickiness of spiders and snakes and things that boys liked to play with) was insects coming up from the toilet. *shudders* I still think about it!

My fear centered around spiders and bugs that I would kill and then flush down the toilet. I just knew whatever bug I'd flushed was mutating down in the sewer and when the time was right (when I was using the bathroom, of course) it would crawl up and bite me! I kid you not, that was one of my fears as a child. And, this, this does not help!

Do you understand why? This confirms one my of greatest childhood fears! Hell, if rats can come up through the toilets why not any other sort of creature?! The only thing that comforts me, and I seriously mean the only thing, is that it happened in England. Sorry, Helen, you know I love you . . . but, seriously! Thank goodness the dateline did not say "Atlanta, Georgia", wait . . . let's make that anywhere in the South.

My ex would say this is why you should carefully trap the spider or bug and take it outside. No. I do not think so.

I shall now head for bed and try my damnedest not to think about this. I have a hard time believing I will be successful.

2 comments:

Dogeared said...

That fear's never seriously worried me, but hmm, rats out of the toilet? The story takes ages to load for me, so I've still not read it, and have no idea how close it is to me, but luckily, it's not a common occurence!

Allison said...

Oh I am soooooo with you here. I was terrorized by a goofy horror movie when I was in 4th grade or so and it involved, in addition to clown trapping people inside balloons, scaring giant quasi-snake-piranha things coming up out of the toilets!!!!!